Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Joan Marsden (Read 9233 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Joan Marsden
Mar 12th, 2004, 5:55pm

This obituary appeared in The Guardian:

Joan Marsden

The BBC floor manager known to all as 'mother'

Philip Purser
Friday March 12, 2004
The Guardian

Joan Marsden, who has died aged 84, was one of the legendary figures of BBC Television. In the hectic years of expansion and improvisation from the 1950s until the late 1970s, she was the floor manager at Lime Grove studios for what was initially called "Talks" - encompassing documentary programmes, current affairs and, above all, the weekly news magazine Panorama.

Much of the output was still live. Earphones clamped to her head, the floor manager was responsible for ensuring that every participant in a programme was in the right place at the right time, ready to be cued as the camera came nosing in. On one occasion, Panorama lost an incoming relay at the last moment and the editor called for the next item on the schedule to be brought forward. This happened to be an interview with the then education minister, the somewhat portly Edward Boyle. Marsden literally threw him across the studio, she claimed, and in due course received a grateful letter from his press officer.

Not that she was a dragon. On the contrary, she was petite , with a keen sense of humour. She achieved her results by reassuring her clientele as they entered the rather daunting voids of Lime Grove - previously a movie studio - and letting them see that there was order and logic to what was going on. She was known even to prime ministers as "mother", or to just a few as "mum".

General Sir Brian Horrocks, who acquired a second fame as a writer and presenter of TV programmes about soldiers, never trusted autocue devices and had his scripts typed out in giant letters, the better to memorise them. Marsden noticed that the top page always bore his crest as a House of Lords official, Black Rod, and immediately beneath that was the injunction, "Await cue from Mum".

An only child of Liverpool parents, she was brought up in Devon when the family moved there. After wartime service in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force she worked as a west end theatre stage manager before joining the BBC.

It was not all politics, as she revealed in Denis Norden's Coming To You Live! (1985). Her very first show was an edition of International Music Hall. The producer sent her in a chauffeur-driven car to London Airport to collect a troupe of 10 acrobats. When they arrived at the theatre she found she had only got 9, and the missing man was the one who supported all the others on his shoulders. In the nick of time he was located at his country's embassy. For a Guy Fawkes night edition of the children's programme Blue Peter, the producer rashly wanted a firework display in the studio. Over the talkback he told Marsden to cue the Catherine wheel. It began to spin round, emitting showers of sparks and she was baffled to hear him snap, "Right, Joan, cue Catherine wheel to stop."

Only once did she have to exert authority. During the Apollo moon landings, Patrick Moore was in the studio to rehearse arrangements for the next live relay. Princess Anne, being shown round the premises, spotted him and said, "Tell me all about the moon, Mr Moore." He was still chuntering on as the time for the relay approached. Up in the control gallery, the producer was tearing his hair. "Get her out," he cried. Marsden went up to the Royal party and said: "I'm afraid we do actually have to rehearse." Stunned silence, but a rueful grin from HRH.

On retirement in 1979, Marsden kept in touch with her large circle of friends - she never married and had few relations but "a great gift for friendship", according to Margaret Douglas, a sometime Panorama producer and supervisor of parliamentary broadcasting. From her Shepherd's Bush flat, Marsden kept an eye on her beloved Lime Grove and was mortified when the studios were eventually demolished.

The recipient of an MBE, she maintained an interest in broadcasting and became a fan of Radio 5 Live, which she held to be the network closest in character to the BBC she had served so well.

· Joan Marsden, stage and television studio manager, born May 20 1919; died March 3 2004
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2004, 9:03am by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Joan Marsden
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2004, 9:02am

This obituary appeared in The Times on March 24:

Joan Marsden

Floor manager who ensured Panorama’s smooth running for 20 years as ‘mother’ to presenters and guests
WHEN eight million viewers kept a weekly date with Panorama on BBC Television in the 1960s, the credits on the screen never included the name of Joan Marsden. Yet this former WAAF officer was a key figure in ensuring that Richard Dimbleby presented the live programme each Monday night without any hiccups.

Marsden was the floor manager for Panorama, the link between the director in the control room and the presenter waiting for his cue.

The relationship between Dimbleby and Marsden was a special one. It was he who first called her “mother”, and mother she was to the VIPs who turned up at the Lime Grove studios on Monday nights. Harold Wilson was in awe of her, Ted Heath shook his shoulders at her and even George Brown sobered up when Marsden came into view.

When Dimbleby became ill with cancer in the mid-1960s, she was one of the few who knew what an effort it was for him to present Panorama. Her caring and his courage ensured that the programme carried on without viewers knowing anything was wrong.

There were not many people who could keep Richard Dimbleby happy and Robin Day at bay. She coped briefly with Alistair Burnet and then nursed another Dimbleby, David.

The studio echoed to her command. Her calmness, her love of television and her care for programmes made her close to indispensable.

Marsden had come from the theatre. The only child of Liverpool parents, she was brought up in Devon when the family moved there and when she left the Central School of Speech and Drama in 1937 she started work in the theatre at the bottom: assistant stage manager.

She volunteered in 1940 to join the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force. She was soon promoted to flight officer and became a fighter sector controller at the airbase that is now Goodwood. When she was demobbed after five and a half years’ service, she went back to the theatre, and in 1957 she joined BBC Television as an assistant floor manager.

The boss at that time disapproved of women in the studio. But she persisted and in 1960 she took on the job she did with such distinction for 20 years: floor manager.

The BBC knew what a wonderful ambassador she was for the corporation. Sensibly, it ensured that she was appointed MBE in 1978, the year before she retired.

In retirement, she kept in touch with her many friends by phone and and maintained her interest in broadcasting and in sport with what she called “her beloved Radio 5”.

Joan Marsden, MBE, floor manager at BBC Television, 1957-1979, was born on May 20, 1919. She died on March 3, 2004, aged 84.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Simon_Wadleigh
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2004, 12:52am

Joan was Mum.

I joined the BBC on a Monday in October, 1961 and was sent to trail Panorama in Lime Grove - Joan was the FM and, from that day, she took me under her wing.   I had no choice - Joan wasn't like other other women of those days.   She had opinions, she was agressive.   She was rude, she was crude - many of her jokes made me, at the tender age of 21, blush!   But she knew what she wanted me to do  - move on.   As far as she was concerned the BBC was the very best place in the world to work and to make television programmes.

I know that Grace Whyndam Goldie and Huw Wheldon and Alisdair Milne were all probably more important in the overall development of British television than was Joan, but without her dedication, most of their programmes would never have got on the air.

When, with her encouragement, I nervously tried to direct my first programme, Joan was on the floor to make sure all my blemishes were swept under the carpet - thank you Joan.

Joan, Mum, was, to her protogees, and there were many of us, a genuine mother.   She encouraged us, she bullied us, she cajooled us, and, above all, she loved us.

I can say only that we loved her just as much.

Thank you Mum.

IP Logged

Andrew Prince
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2004, 7:37am

As a young engineer in 1975 I remember mother always requiring headphones rather than the modern earpieces.  We even had to make a special pair of "cans" when the new talkback boxes were deployed.

IP Logged

dave.mdv
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:37am

Joan once told me that having chastised Richard Dimbleby about some misdemeanour he told her that it was an empty threat, 'just like your blouse' - she was very flat chested!!! What a lovely lady she was, ruling Shepherds Bush from 'The Grampians'. Like many others, she was going to write a book about her time in the Beeb, i don't know if she did but it would have been a best seller!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print