Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Winter fuel allowance for pensioners (Read 245 times)
Maggie

London W11
Winter fuel allowance for pensioners
Jul 31st, 2024, 2:33pm

What are your intelligent thoughts please about the proposed reduction in this coming winter's fuel allowance for pensioners? My cousin who was once an accountant says it should not apply to those receiving less than £30,000-£40,000 pa?

IP Logged

david en france

Old Whittington, Derbyshire.
Re: Winter fuel allowance for pensioners
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2024, 11:38am

Eight years ago in a discussion on PIE I said this: Hi John. I am paying a little more tax but as my pension isn't that much in the first place - thanks to that Mr Birt -  I ain't in the higher bracket.  But I am about three hundred and fifty quid a month better off which suits me and the wife, especially as she hasn't had a cost of living increase on her civil service pension for two years....and we are determined to keep on enjoying life whilst we can in our own modest way. Like you, I voted RemaIN and remain pretty angry about the way Cameron and Co screwed up. But there IS an element of fun to be had from watching the way it's turning out....or else we'd get terminally depressed!

Now the financial picture has changed and, much as I expected, PIE has left me without any increases for 8 years so I may ( though I am not certain) be worse off following the recent reasonable annual increases but it was my expectation that my spending requirement would decrease and that has certainly been the case with less foreign travel, no motorhome etc.  So as a couple we will not complain about losing the winter fuel allowance. However I AM concerned that I am paying more tax now and that is my biggest fear from a Labour Government for any significant increase WOULD hurt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print